Tuesday, January 24, 2012
Monday, January 23, 2012
Time to get more current pictures of that original Kitchen backsplash...
Client Kim basically left the design part up to me, saying that she liked everything she had seen of mine; such wonderful trust;)
So, I love the Flora and Fauna and that is what I decided to go with for her design.
These are the original drawings I made and emailed to her to get her approval; she had sent me templates of the areas to be covered in her kitchen, leaving space for light switch plates and spaghetti pot faucet.
Laying different size pieces to check the background.
Here is a shot of the branch "flow" to create a horizontal feel in the mosaic.
Here are the finished panels laid out at my shop.
I covered the pieces with clear contact paper for transport and it made it easier to push into place and spread the pressure over the glued back. I have used a cardboard strip before.
I removed the contact paper in bits and pushed to make sure it was evenly glued to the wall.
Once I had it all glued there was a question about the light switch plate. I offered the possibility of covering one with matching mosaic pattern, they took me up on that. I worked on it that night and grouted it the next day. What a difference this plate made to the overall piece.
I also sneaked my initials into this piece, since I can't seem to remember to do this on a regular basis:(
The mosaiced switch plate added some dimension to the piece. This is after grouting.
So happy to have added mirror to the mix, it complements her stainless steel appliances beautifully.
The overall finished mosaic and the happy owner!